Monday, November 14, 2011

Global Communication (CMC11)

So I signed in on Wednesday for Thursday live session and despite my efforts not to forget the session on Thursday I did. Talk about barriers in global communication, I may be my own worse enemy.

Reflecting on what I read for this week I have chosen to focus on global barriers. Language, I would say is a huge barrier. Another barrier, as stated earlier, can be ourselves. So how to we work through bridging the gap on these barriers?

Language:

With all the technological advances can we not strive for a translating application that can translate what we are saying, if such an app does not already exist?

Ourselves:

I find that the hours of the live sessions or google groups are not the most convenient for me. Aside from that, there really isn't a quite place for me, to be able to participate in a live session or group without the clatter behind me. Many times as easy as it could be for some to participate in these live sessions or chats, there is an inability to commit for whatever reason. Almost everyone starts off a new venture full spirited and energetic, yet as time passes, there is less participation and a lack of commitment. Is there a way to bridge this gap? Not really. We cannot force people to participate. Therefore, even though we can motivate people to become more involved or stay as involved, there will always be a barrier. I do not feel that it is ultimately for the worse. I think we can make every effort ourselves to stay active and accept the results and do as much as we can for it. I do not feel that the objective of this MOOC or global communication is perfection and 100% participation. I feel that the goal is more focused on striving for the best results. Work with what you got and learn from past experiences to have more successful future experiences. The key is to never lose site of the target and stay focused only on doing the best you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment