Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Transliteracy & Metaliteracy

Keeping up with the ever evolving technology; blogging, tweeting, e-mails, web casts, face time, video chats, etc. Not so many years ago it was interesting for me to see the struggles of some adults to adapt to e-mails and some of the new technology introduced back in that time. Yet here i am, thinking I am hip to all this new age stuff, having had my first Google group just some days ago. It seems like some new technological advancement is occurring everyday.

I am not into the blogging or tweeting. instant messaging/texting, gotta love it. I do. Yet this course has made me think of my resilience to try out new things. I don't have to be an addicted blogger or tweeter but I should not limit my experiences or what i expose myself to. Take a chance, jump right in and find ways to use these forms of communication to my advantage my interests as should everyone else. Even if you only blog or tweet once have that experience on your resume of life.

I am still young and having had kids at a young age gives me somewhat of an advantage. I can adapt and since the age gap between my kids and I isn't that big i can learn from my kids or the teens that i service at my job to stay up to date with the current trends of technology and new age communication.

I think the most important thing is to keep an open mind. Not to conform and shut down. People are not really into change. Change bothers, it gives off a feeling of uneasiness because it is unfamiliar in our routine lives, more so for older adults. We mustn't forget to live, experiment and have fun.Life should not be about routine it should be about change & different experiences.

Metaliteracy has open up tremendous amount of doors giving us the ability to create and share content with unlimited amounts of people all around the world. we have come a long way from post and mailman days. We don't have to take a plane to visit relatives halfway around the world with video chat capabilities or web cams.

Technology is great but we must remember it is not about the impact that technology makes on us, it is about the impact that we make through technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment