Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Synthesizing and Refining Creativity

The article titled, "7 Ways to Cultivate Your Creativity" immediately sparked my interest. I opened up the link but did I read the article, No. Do I really need an article to tell me how to be creative? Or give me guidelines on cultivating it? No. I limit my creativity. I blocked it. I undermine it.

What is creativity? To me creativity is using bedsheets to make a hideout or my secret place. It is cutting up the mismatched socks left over from my mom's laundry to create clothes for my barbies or whatever I wanted. Creativity is daring to imagine, explore and attempt the things my heart desires or longs for. Creativity is listening to yourself and trying out the things in your head not giving thought to fears or self consciousness.

How do you spark creativity? For me it's letting go. It's allowing my inner child to be free. Whether it's running in the rain or jumping in a puddle of mud. It's dropping mustard and ketchup on my white button down shirt and looking at it as artwork and not the end of the world.

There is no real way to define creativity. In this world of rules and regulations to which everything must conform, the definitions given for creativity are simply guidelines to try and capture and explain a limitless force of nature that derives in all of us. If you tell yourself you are not creative then you are not because you have put a block and refrained yourself from being creative. You want to find creativity? Go take a walk in the park, close your eyes, inhale a breath of fresh air and just be. Find YOU, the you before all of the responsibilities, stress, worries, anger and restrictions. Find the careless you, the daring you, the challenging you. Rediscover yourself and rediscover the creativity in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment